Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tuesday's Gone: Paper Free Tuesday



Train roll on, on down the line,
Please take me far, away
Now I feel the wind blow outside my door,
Means I'm leaving my woman at home.
Tuesday's gone with the wind.
Well my baby's gone with the wind.

And I don't know oh where I'm going.
I just want to be left alone.
Well, when this train ends I'll try again,
But I'm leaving my woman at home

(Tuesday's gone with the wind.) X 3
My baby's gone with the wind.
Train roll on.
Tuesday's gone.

Train roll on many miles from my home,
See, I'm riding my blues away. Yeah.
Tuesday, you see, she had to be free
But somehow I've got to carry on.
Lord And.

(Tuesday's gone with the wind) X 3
My baby's gone with the wind.

Train roll on.
Ahh on.
Cause my baby's gone.
Im riding my blues day.
Train roll on blue.
(Ride on train.) X 2
Ride my blues day.
Goodbye Tuesday. X2
Ahh Train.


-- Lynyrd Skynyrd

The People's Parliament launched the Paper Free Tuesday campaign Monday as their first step to pressure mainstream newspaper to be more ethical and honest in their news reporting. As former Malay Mail Editor turn blogger, Rocky puts it below:

I read the lies that some editors of this day stuff into their Sunday columns and into the news that their papers publish. They condone plagiarism, use the papers to shamelessly promote their own (or their friends, wives, or friends' wives') business interests, and rewrite reporters' articles to safeguard the personal interests of their political friends and masters.
Over at Mee Rebus Tuesday, I asked veteran reporter, Maria Samad about the practises of newspaper before and today. She said that newspaper like New Straits Times has clearly distinguish itself as "Government" newspaper. On that fact, there is no newspaper, even in the so-called free world, that is void of any political or ideological inclination. At least in the past, she said news and fact are reported as it is for readers to make their own conclusion and judgment.

She had a contrarian view to that of Harris and I concur on newspaper exercising public responsibility. Newspaper cannot be anarchistically free. If the need arise, newspaper could withheld news and articles that will compromise national interest and exercebate inter-racial and inter-faith relations, particularly inter-racial and inter-faith disputes.


As far as my concern on this campaign, I have been boycotting MSM, since the ridiculous and vindictive lawsuit by NST "four" on bloggers Rocky and Jeff Ooi early last year. That lawsuit has no relevant claims but was merely attempt to shut critical voices on the state of journalism in Malaysia.

Frankly, these days my information source is the free online news and socio-political blogs/portal. There is more and balanced news, article, and information online than buying from a single MSM. The MSM portals serve me to provide the leading stories but I'd search for more point of views on a given issue. Unlike the MSM reporting these days, the Internet respects me to not only give me the independence to make my own opinion but access to express it.

More information does not make me confused. By the way, confused or keliru, is the commonly used cliche by insecure politicians trying to psycho the public to fear alterntive views. I am a living example that my "self-confusion" to alternative news will not urn one into murtad or aimless liberal or unrealistic critic. It has actually strengthen my faith and ideological belief. I would believed that it will improves the depth in understanding issues by the masses.

There is more that can be done to improve alternative socio-political information. There need to be effort to agglomorate the blogs to ease and reduce scan time. The number of SoPo bloggers and partially SoPo bloggers is fast rising on the blog cum Directory SoPO Sentral of Malaysia. One blog that has risen to play this sort of role is Suara. Check this one out.

There seemed to be overload of the political party-affiliated information and it needs more independent citizen generated news and opinion. So people, boycott MSM, read blogs! Participate in the comments or even start blogging.

No comments:

My Say