An hour before our posting yesterday here, Sin Chew.com published a Bernama report containing Pak Lah's denial.
So it was not considered in our previous posting. One commentator used that to discredit us and claim we denied his right to give his side of the story.
This posting is about giving Pak Lah's side of the story. But, does his response make sense?
The Bernama report below:
Abdullah dismisses assumptions he conspired with opposition over book
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 12 (Bernama) -- Former Prime Minister Tun Abdullah Ahmad today dismissed assumptions that he had conspired with the opposition to go against his own party, Umno, through the publication of the book "Awakening: The Abdullah Badawi Years in Malaysia".
"That is tantamount to twisting the facts and is slanderous. The criticisms given during the interview with me, as contained in the book, were made because I wish to see that Umno continues to have the people's mandate and trust.
"I have never left Umno and, God willing, when the time comes I will breathe my last in this world as an Umno member who loves his motherland," he said in a media statement.
Abdullah said it must be understood that he had neither written the book nor sponsored its publication.
He said he had been interviewed by two academicians, James Chin and Bridget Welsh, on the principle of openness for a balanced debate with regard to all points of view.
Abdullah explained that he was only associated with an interview in 2011, which was more inclined towards replying to questions raised by the writers who had contributed to the book and providing him with an opportunity to clarify several points inserted in the book.
"I did not sponsor or ask for the book to be published. It is the norm for academicians to make an analysis of our country's political history and, definitely, my era did not escape academic research.
"I only agreed to be interviewed so that my views and explanations can be carried in the book," he said.
Abdullah said he did not know of, was not informed about and was not responsible for any invitation to launch or discuss the book.
He said he had no plans to attend the launch of the book for it could be then assumed that he wrote it and sponsored its publication.
"The news that an opposition leader has been invited to launch the book in Singapore, even if it is true, is the decision of the publisher, not mine," he said.
It had been reported that Lembah Pantai MP Nurul Izzah, daughter of Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, would launch the book in Singapore on Aug 30
It is merely a deny, deny, deny ... statement. He could be denying by singing a Hindustani song .... nahi, nahi, nahi ... and still said nothing.
This is old school style of denial without any meat is not convincing. The questions remained:
- If he was merely answering questions by the (real) authors, why was only attack on Tun Dr Mahathir was highlighted? It could mean Pak Lah was not shedding light into his past actions but holding a grudge against Dr Mahathir.
- Why didn't Pak Lah just highlighted the fact that he wanted to run the country his way and not resoort to personal revenge against Dr Mahathir?
- If Pak Lah did not sponsor or request for it's publication, why was he willing to be interviewed?
- Why didn't he check the background of the authors/editors and publishers?
- If true that this is merely an academic exercise, why didn't this people right an academic bok on Dr Mahathir? He was a more significant subject matter than the monnow Pak Lah.
- During his administration and retirement, Pak Lah and his media propagandist are protective, and guarded at allowing him to be interviewed by the media and local media to avoid controversies. But, he could vomit out whatever crosses his mind with the two editors?
- Pak Lah asked his answers be the focus of reader's attention and not the speculations behind his actions. It means Pak Lah wants readers to focus on his attack on Dr Mahathir.
- Taken that Pak lah did not write the book, but this book has no value without Pak lah's interview. It could be construed that he actually wanted the book published.
- Why didn't Pak Lah think ahead that this is enemy strategy to destroy UMNO and allow oour wn people to write instead?
- Again, if Pak Lah did not write, why did he provided materials to promote the book which contains personal attack on other and his own party?
- Pak Lah's cooperation showed his liberal side which was never known before he became Prime Minister. Did he realised that his liberal ways was the cause for much the disrespect today and destroyal of the Malays and their leaders?
The Bernama report did not mention he denied holding a vendence against Dr Mahathir and the questions posed could prematurely conclude that the belief that Pak Lah would revenge against Dr Mahathir is true.
The reason he will revenge is for criticising his administration and led Najib and Muhyiddin to honourably replace him. It means he does not believe he should be criticised and in the past, he will complain on Dr Mahathir for repeating the same issue despite him explaining his reasons.
It is as though we should accept and shut up upon hearing his ridiculous explanation. IT shows the man the opposition gave tribute for openness is himself not transparent and open.
Nevertheless Pak Lah has every right to give his side of the story and criticise Dr Mahathir, just like we had every right to criticise him then and now. We make no bone of making our view, opinion and speculation known and heard.
Were we not subjected to much oppression for expressing ur views during his time?
The commentator, Khairy and Lokman Nor Adam should not be sore with the fact that their plan to rubbish Dr Mahathir to prop up their group failed!
That is all to it.