Tuesday, April 07, 2009
Bukit Gantang: Immediate thought
I'm at Bukit Gantang in the aftermath of another BN lost in a by-election. On our way from Ipoh, a traffic jam was seen at the Jelapang tunnel as BN supporters left Bukit Gantang.
With Batang Ai's win and Bukit Selambau's lost, the cumulative score for BN in the by-elections now stands at 4-1.
Much to my chagrin, the Chinese vote did not swayed for BN. Did MCA or Gerakan failed to deliver for BN? Does it indicate MCA and Gerakan as being no more relevant to the Chinese voters?
There was a rise in Malay votes and encouraging trend among the Saloran 3 and 4. Perhaps, the derhaka message, the issue of 999 year lease and Nizar's response to the power change reached the Malays.
But, it was not sufficient to help BN. Malay votes remain split. The number of majority rose from about 1,500 to more than 2,000.
Is the battle in Bukit Gantang about the age-old animosity between UMNO and DAP? Or it has changed from the battle of party politics to become the battle to win the heart of the voters? Has the traditional political stucture undergone a permanent change after GE12?
BN has to assess it's position seriously. My gut feel is that the same political trend in GE12 prevails.
The pressure on UMNO and Barisan Nasional to undertake change or transformation within itself has become more intense.
The new cabinet to be revealed by Najib will be closely scrutinised. Dr Mahathir in his latest blog post have spoken to demand questionable personalities not be selected as Ministers.
There is no more time for politicking and procrastination within UMNO. No more sugar-coated consoling words.
Change or perish!
- ► 2017 (156)
- ► 2016 (184)
- ► 2015 (214)
- ► 2014 (164)
- ► 2013 (200)
- ► 2012 (202)
- ► 2011 (163)
- ► 2010 (187)
- Common Sense and Common Courtesy: Ground Rule for ...
- Ngeh berbohong dan menghina mahkamah (kemaskini)
- 999 year land issue in Perak: Solution needed
- BN's mixed constituencies; Malaysian Malaysia's Ch...
- Discourse at the Ipoh Town Hall last night
- Reservation to Rashid's appointment as Press Secre...
- Hal Blogger bertemu Menteri, dan Blogger Raja Petr...
- Hafarizam Harun menjawab Hanipa Maidin; Forum awam...
- Nizar penderhaka ugut dan hasut untuk tumbangkan I...
- Komen Hanipa salah; Ngeh, Nga, Nizar dan Sivakumar...
- Sivakumar gila babi berbohong; Mengharap DUN dibub...
- Anwar's absence for Malaysia's first submarine arr...
- If Fairuz asked to resign, so should Anwar
- Adakah Sivakumar Gila Babi akan panggil Mesyuarat ...
- Muhyiddin's style of answering or bitterness for b...
- Letak MARA di bawah JPM
- Kalaulah ini Kabinet Dr Mahathir ...
- Anwar and RPK should help save Sirul and Azrilah
- Kabinet baru: Asal kriteria pilihan dan pertimbang...
- Malay vote shift at Bukit Gantang
- Bukit Gantang: Immediate thought
- New era, new media, olive branch offer
- Kempen TDM di Bukit Gantang
- Adakah "bulan mewakili hati ku" masih berdendang?
- A rising hope at Bukit Gantang
- Was Carcosa that finally made Abdullah final?
- Will Nizar needs Ngeh's permission to speak in Par...
- ▼ April (27)
- ► 2008 (343)
- ► 2007 (140)