LATEST: 24/6 A(H1N1): First case in Johor: 19-yr-old female student returning from Melbourne via Changi Airport Singapore on flight SQ0238 on June 22/STAR 9:54 am
All of a sudden we are faced with schools closed due to the virus H1N1. Prior to this, we were informed as though things are under controlled.
The public was given the impression that any detenction of fever upon entry into our Airport will have necessary precaution taken. The Airline have been cooperative to immediately send passengers for quarantine on any possibilities of H1N1.
Since the early detection of H1N1 in the country, there have been a serious neglect on the part of the Ministry of Health.
An insider within the health industry revealed that a high official had been informed by an international health organisation official of the serious H1N1 situation in Australia. (Read below a June 2nd, 2009 news report on the situation in Australia).
The official believed to be a Tan Sri chose to ignore the warning and was complacent in his reaction. They was no public warning put out to Malaysians to avoid Australia as a holiday destination for the recent school holiday.
From the closure of several schools in Klang Valley, it is understood that a sizable number of the initially infected students include those returning from Australia for holiday. Thus for the caution statement on travelling abroad to Australia and the United States.
Despite realising the seriousness and increasing number of infected numbers, this blogger was informed that the particular Ministry official did not react to the matter with urgency.
The Health Ministry merely attempted to contact the passengers returning via handphones to request them to voluntarily undergo quarantine. All was done at a lack-a-daisical pace.
The Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai have made some reassuring statements for the public. However, the insider believe that the neglect of his high official has placed Malaysia to possibility of a contagion effect that could result in a H1N1 epidemic. As it is, the infected number is on the rise fast.
This posting is meant to alert the Government and public to be more urgent, dilligent and undertake necessary public and personal precautions. Public health must not be taken likely!
A/H1N1 flu situation is escalating in Australia----------------------------
HONG KONG, June 2 (Xinhua) -- With more and more new lab-confirmed cases of the A/H1N1 flu found in the Asia-Pacific region, the flu situation in Australia is worse with over 300 confirmed cases in the country on Thursday.
Australian health authorities have confirmed that more than 300 people have been diagnosed with the flu and all states and territories are now affected by the virus.
The number of cases diagnosed in Victoria has now risen to 212,Queensland has reported 20 cases, New South Wales 57, South Australia 7, the ACT 4 and Tasmania, Western Australia and the Northern Territory have one case each.
Queensland Health Minister Paul Lucas told the parliament Tuesday it's inevitable there will be deaths in Australia from the flu.
Lucas said that the A/H1N1 flu situation is escalating in Australia and the ultimate spread of it in greater numbers can hardly be stopped.
"Inevitably you expect to see deaths in Australia from swine flu," Lucas said.
What the Health is doing is slowing it and seeking to contain it and will continue to take every appropriate action to fight against it, said he.
He said around 1,000 to 3,000 Australians died each year from influenza.
The tally of confirmed A/H1N1 flu cases on the Chinese mainland has risen to 43 on Tuesday as four more people were confirmed infected with the virus while in Hongkong, Another three people were tested positive for the A/H1N1 virus on Tuesday, taking the number of confirmed cases in the city to 26, according to information from local health authorities.
In Thailand, Thai Public Health Ministry announced Tuesday that another Thai is confirmed to be infected by the A/H1N1 influenza virus, the fifth case in the country.
India has confirmed two more new cases. A 34-year-old woman and her five-year-old son from Tamil Nadu, southern India, who returned from the United States on May 28, have been confirmed to be infected with the A H1N1 influenza virus, said Indian health officials Tuesday.
In New Zealand, a child on a recent flight from North America has Influenza A/H1N1, bringing the number of confirmed cases in New Zealand to 10, the Health Ministry said on Tuesday.
Singapore confirmed its 8th case of Influenza A/H1N1 on Tuesday. According to the country's Health Ministry, the patient is a 15-year-old Singaporean boy who is studying in India. He travelled from India to Orlando and Atlanta on a school trip from May 17 to 31. He returned to Singapore from Atlanta via Mumbai on Singapore Airlines SQ421 on June 1.
No Plan To Close All Schools In Klang Valley - Muhyiddin
Bernama June 23rd, 2009
PUTRAJAYA, June 23 -- The government has no plan to close all schools or ban public gathering in the Klang Valley although most of the Influenza A (H1N1) cases are reported in the area, Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said Tuesday.
He said the government would apply the World Health Organisation (WHO) protocols in containing the spread of the virus.
"Unless there is an obvious need for it, we don't want to raise unnecessary alarm among the people," he told reporters after attending a luncheon with Malaysian diplomats at the 7th Heads of Mission Conference at the Putrajaya International Convention Centre, here.
He was asked whether the government would take the measures following the rise in the number of confirmed cases of H1N1 in the Klang Valley.
To date, 68 cases have been reported natiowide and four schools in the Klang Valley were told to close for a week due to the spread of the virus.
Muhyiddin said the Health Ministry was monitoring the situation and would take all the necessary action to contain the disease.
On Malaysia's proposal that countries imposed screening of travellers at the exit points, Muhyiddin said the WHO would deliberate the matter at a forum.
Until there was a consensus on the matter, Malaysia would carry on with existing protocols of screening travellers at the entry points, he said.
On the upward trend in the spread of the virus in the country, with 10 more cases reported today, bringing the total cases to 68, Muhyiddin said he hoped it could be contained as soon as possible.
He also asked the Health Ministry to hold sessions with teachers and parents to explain the necessity for the school closure so that they could help in containing the virus.