It is at least 48 hours since the revelation by WSJ and SR but no statement or denial have been forthcoming from Arab Malaysia Investment Bank. This is a crucial statement.
WSJ alleged Arab Bank is where money in the billions were transfered into Dato' Najib's personal account. The WSJ reported money was transfered in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Is bank confidentiality holding back Arab Malaysian from making statement?
A facebook posting showed a FBer tested the account by attempting to remit money into the account but was rejected. Not authorised. Does it mean exist but not allowed? Is the account still operational?
In the meanwhile, Lim Kit Siang is hitting hard:
Checkmate: 'No outright denial by Najib raises red flag'
Published and Updated Jul 04, 2015 1:22pm
Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak's refusing to issue an outright denial over allegations that almost US$700 million (RM2.6 billion) of 1MDB's fund was deposited into his private bank accounts is raising a red flag, DAP supremo Lim Kit Siang said today.
Lim pointed out that even though the media reported Najib denying the allegation made by the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), the prime minister skirted around the question of whether state funds had indeed entered his accounts.
"What Najib said last night was 'I have never taken funds for personal gain as alleged by my political opponents – whether from 1MDB, SRC International or other entities, as these companies have confirmed'.
"Why can't Najib just say 'yes' or “no” to the grave WSJ allegation that almost US$700 million was deposited into Najib's personal accounts before the 13th general election.
"Is Najib denying that the two deposits of US$620 million and US$61 million were deposited into his personal bank accounts in March 2013, or he is admitting that there were such deposits but he had never taken the funds for personal gain – whatever Najib's definition of 'personal gain' is," said Lim.
Lim (photo) said the absence of Najib's outright denial raises red flags and presumptions that are detrimental to Najib's innocence, probity and integrity.
"Najib should come out with a straightforward statement denying that there had been two deposits of US$620 million and US$61 million into his personal account in March 2013.
AG should explain
"Or everybody can only conclude that Najib could not deny such vast deposits into his personal bank accounts and the prime minister could only turn and twist about the use of the deposits concerned," he said.
Lim said attorney-general Gani Patail also owed Malaysians an explanation.
WSJ today defended its report, claiming that it was based on Malaysian government investigation papers which had been submitted to Gani and the government and were also sighted by Najib himself.
Lim addded that under the current circumstances, Deputy Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin and the Cabinet must also act by calling for an emergency meeting of Parliament next week.
"If Najib cannot secure a vote of confidence in the emergency meeting of Parliament, he should resign as prime minister," he said.
Update 8:40 PM
The Attorney General, Tan Sri Gani Patail announced the formation of a Special Taskforce to investigate the WSJ allegation:
PASUKAN PETUGAS KHAS SIASAT DAKWAAN DANA DISALUR KE AKAUN PERDANA MENTERI
Sebuah Pasukan Petugas Khas, dianggotai oleh Suruhanjaya Pencegahan Rasuah Malaysia (SPRM), Polis Diraja Malaysia dan Bank Negara Malaysia, telah pun memulakan siasatan berhubung isu 1MDB.
Pasukan ini telah memperoleh beberapa dokumen yang kemudiannya dikemukakan kepada saya untuk semakan. Saya mengesahkan bahawa saya telah menerima dokumen-dokumen berkaitan 1MDB termasuk dokumen berkaitan dakwaan penyaluran dana ke akaun milik YAB Perdana Menteri, Dato' Seri Mohd Najib Tun Razak daripada Pasukan Petugas Khas ini.
Sehubungan itu, saya telah meneliti dan menyemak kesemua dokumen yang dikemukakan, dan seterusnya telah memberi nasihat dan panduan kepada Pasukan Petugas Khas ini bagi mengambil tindakan lanjut.
Saya juga mengesahkan bahawa pada 3 Julai 2015, Pasukan Petugas Khas ini telah menghantar pasukan siasatan ke syarikat SRC International Sdn Bhd, Gandingan Mentari Sdn Bhd dan Ihsan Perdana Sdn Bhd untuk mengadakan serbuan dan telah memperoleh dokumen dari ketiga-tiga premis terbabit.
Susulan semakan dan analisis yang dibuat ke atas dokumen-dokumen yang diperoleh hasil serbuan itu, saya juga telah memberi nasihat dan panduan susulan kepada Pasukan Petugas Khas.
Siasatan akan memfokus setiap aspek yang dibangkitkan.
Saya yakin keanggotaan pelbagai agensi akan membolehkan siasatan dijalankan dengan lebih profesional dan terperinci.
Saya juga berharap semua pihak memberi kerjasama bagi membolehkan Pasukan Petugas Khas ini menjalankan siasatan dan tidak mengeluarkan kenyataan-kenyataan yang boleh mengelirukan orang ramai.
TAN SRI ABDUL GANI PATAIL PEGUAM NEGARA
4 JULAI 2015