Saturday, April 04, 2009
A rising hope at Bukit Gantang
An opposition politician on her return from Sarawak confided with the passenger next to her that Batang Ai will go to BN. Anwar's much hope of an attack on Sarawak to buid up for this year's expected state election may not materialise.
She said situation in Bukit Selambau is rather mixed and Bukit Gantang would be a better hope.
Her expectation may not turn out so. By this weekend, the direction of Bukit Selambau may turn towards Barisan Nasional. While in Bukit Gantang, the Chinese vote indicate a swing back to Barisan Nasional.
There are several reasons to believe for the swing back to BN. The crucial non-Malay voters that had cost Barisan Nasional in the last General Election will return support to BN now.
The Malay votes is likely to favour BN as Nizar's antic to losing majority in the State Assemby and lost of his MB post may not go well with the Malay voters. Their questioning of the King's prerogative would cost them dearly.
The character attack campaign by PAS, and slogans associating Islam and vote for PAS may indicate they are running out of issues and losing grip. UMNO's rally in the rural part of Bukit Gantang are attracting huge crowds and in one night Anwar had to cancel his ceramah.
The belief that the Chinese are looking at the by-election as a referendum for a fresh state election may not be that significant.
Their concern is economics and they do not believe giving further support to Nizar would serve their economic concern. They would like to see the leadership focus on the economic problems of the country.
After a year of endless politicking since the 12th General Election on March 8th last year, fatique has set in. They are willing to give our newly installed PM, Dato Seri Najib a chance.
The presence of some 5,000 at a dinner in Taiping on Friday night despite the heavy downpour is a testament to that swing.
BN have touch base with the community leaders and they have given the nod. They expressed their resentment towards Dato Kayveas, although he wasn't the candidate, in the last General Election.
During that dinner, the commitment by the newly elected UMNO Deputy President, Tan Sri Muhyiddin's to assist the voters grouses, which is primarily related to civil servants, should go well.
Najib's gesture to release 13 ISA detainees and the lift of the ban on Suara Keadilan and Harakah will begin to set in. His 1Malaysia slogan is giving a renew sense of a nation. Maybe not a new broom but much hope.
The icing on the cake for BN's campaign in Bukit Gantang is expected on Monday when Tun Dr Mahathir makes a visit. Words are he will submit his UMNO application form today.
This will certainly be a good start for Najib, whose Premiership will have to face up to more challenges than faced by his father, the late Tun Abdul Razak.
- ► 2020 (70)
- ► 2019 (205)
- ► 2018 (109)
- ► 2017 (160)
- ► 2016 (184)
- ► 2015 (214)
- ► 2014 (164)
- ► 2013 (200)
- ► 2012 (202)
- ► 2011 (163)
- ► 2010 (187)
- Common Sense and Common Courtesy: Ground Rule for ...
- Ngeh berbohong dan menghina mahkamah (kemaskini)
- 999 year land issue in Perak: Solution needed
- BN's mixed constituencies; Malaysian Malaysia's Ch...
- Discourse at the Ipoh Town Hall last night
- Reservation to Rashid's appointment as Press Secre...
- Hal Blogger bertemu Menteri, dan Blogger Raja Petr...
- Hafarizam Harun menjawab Hanipa Maidin; Forum awam...
- Nizar penderhaka ugut dan hasut untuk tumbangkan I...
- Komen Hanipa salah; Ngeh, Nga, Nizar dan Sivakumar...
- Sivakumar gila babi berbohong; Mengharap DUN dibub...
- Anwar's absence for Malaysia's first submarine arr...
- If Fairuz asked to resign, so should Anwar
- Adakah Sivakumar Gila Babi akan panggil Mesyuarat ...
- Muhyiddin's style of answering or bitterness for b...
- Letak MARA di bawah JPM
- Kalaulah ini Kabinet Dr Mahathir ...
- Anwar and RPK should help save Sirul and Azrilah
- Kabinet baru: Asal kriteria pilihan dan pertimbang...
- Malay vote shift at Bukit Gantang
- Bukit Gantang: Immediate thought
- New era, new media, olive branch offer
- Kempen TDM di Bukit Gantang
- Adakah "bulan mewakili hati ku" masih berdendang?
- A rising hope at Bukit Gantang
- Was Carcosa that finally made Abdullah final?
- Will Nizar needs Ngeh's permission to speak in Par...
- ▼ April (27)
- ► 2008 (343)
- ► 2007 (140)